Sunday, February 25, 2018

« Back to obituaries

Victoria A. Bergstrom

Victoria BergstromVictoria A. “Torry” Bergstrom, of Chagrin Falls, formerly of Kirtland, passed away on June 15, 2016. She was 97.

She was born June 6, 1919, in Cleveland, to Anthony and Anastasia (nee Lisy) Divoky. When she was 3, her family moved to Bratenahl, where she had wonderful memories of growing up on the shores of Lake Erie. She graduated from Shaw High School in 1937.

In high school, she played basketball, served on student council, was a National Honor Society member and loved performing with the drama club. Upon graduating, she worked at Steller-Carpenter-Stofer and Chase Brass and Copper Co.

She loved to dance and organized dances for the Catholic Youth Organization at St Jerome’s Church in Cleveland.

On May 23, 1942, Torry married Harold Bergstrom. They had grown up near each other in the Collinwood-Bratnahl area and had been friends since childhood.

Her husband Harold served in the U.S. Navy during World War II. Torry traveled to be with him throughout the United States whenever she could during his service.

After the war, in 1948, they moved to Kirtland to begin their family. Torry was instrumental in creating Kirtland’s first kindergarten, which met at the fire station.

In 1958, they started the Bergstrom Insurance Agency, which they owned and operated until about 1990.

Harold died Jan. 27, 1988.

Torry was an active member of the West-End Garden Club, which raised money for camper scholarships to the West-End YMCA.

She will be remembered for the many afghans she crocheted and donated to local charities, also giving them to family and friends. She was also an avid basketmaker.

Torry remained in Kirtland until 5 years ago, when she moved to Chagrin Falls to be nearer family.

Torry is survived by her three sons, Jeffrey A. Bergstrom, Gary E. Bergstrom and Craig S. Bergstrom; and seven grandchildren.

She was predeceased by her husband; parents; and sister, Helen (nee Divoky) Delaney.

The family suggests memorial contributions to the Hospice of the Western Reserve, 17876 St. Clair Ave., Cleveland, OH 44110.